Thursday, January 17, 2013

Lexi's Cruising Towards Two



Lexi and her Daddy
15 Months


 So, I'm pretty sure my last post about Miss Lexi Roo was when she was a year old. I may have done one at 14 months, but that was still over 5 months ago now. She will be 20 months in just 10 days, which is so hard to believe! She's a little ball of fire and fun and we adore her, as do all her grandparents, aunts and uncles - she's quite spoiled.

Her newest things as of the past week are saying tractor "da du" - basically sounds like tractor but with d's, saying ball "bow" - like a hair bow, and experimenting with potty training - we've done two half days and even though she hasn't gone in the potty yet, she's really good about sitting on the potty for m&ms haha! And she tries everything in her power to hold it if she doesn't have a diaper on. She hates going without one.

Lexi on her tractor
January 2013

 Even though she's not quite putting words into long phrases yet, she has a huge mouthful she says, which include some of the following:
juice, doggy, kitty, bye bye, hi, daDDDDDDYYYYY (yes, that dramatic), Mama, yes, please, ooops, uh oh, hot dog, cheese, beep, choo choo, vroom, bump, woof, rawr, quack, duck, meow (but only for her Aunt Heather), all done, I did it, what's that, baby, good good (or something, it means her favorite snacks), yogurt (yo go), cracker...and plenty more that I can't think of at the moment.

She will get into things she's not supposed to, like the plant soil, and then run to me yelling "bad bad" and show me her dirty hands and then run to the kitchen to get her hands washed. She also tells Winnie's she's a bad dog lol.

She loves her books and will bring them to us to read her. Usually, out of probably 50, she brings us the same 5 or so every time. It's pretty cute she already has her favorites. And she has parts of them memorized already too. She also loves music and will turn it on herself and dance to it. We plan on enrolling her in one of the toddler dance studios in late spring or early fall. I think she's going to love it!

Lexi at 16 months

 Her favorite song is Twinkle Twinkle, which I find fitting considering that was the room I recovered in after having her. I sing it to her every night as I put her in bed. 

Lexi loved her bottles from Day 1, so when she turned one year old, it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be to just take them away. She didn't want sippy cups at all and really didn't use them until she was around 14 months, if I'm remembering correctly. My goal was to have her off them by 19 months. When she did hit 14 months, we took them away cold turkey due to a friend's recommendation. It was terrible! She just wasn't ready. Her bottle was her only comfort item. After she was three weeks old she didn't want pacifiers and only sucked her thumb a few times. She has favorite toys, but nothing she can't live without. So, we decided she wasn't ready and her waking up multiple times a night crying wasn't worth it, especially when she was way past needing to have a bottle in the middle of the night anyway. So, out came the bottles again, but now it was only right before bed and right when she got up. I started worrying when she was 18 months old that it would be a battle. I know some doctors recommend up to two years old and even my aunt and uncle said she would have no problems if she held on to it that long, but I wanted it gone before that. Well, she was 18.5 months old and started to only have a sip here or there. And then much to our amazement and happiness, she was completely done!! She weaned herself off them by herself! Never asked for her bottle again and I packed them up a few days later. Now we have about three different sippy cups at a time in the fridge! Oh, and our island cupboard has 12 different ones! That's how many I had to buy in order to find ones she liked. Of course now, she doesn't care and will drink from any and all of them.

Lexi feeding Winnie her bottle
17 Months
She's quite a picky eater much to my dismay, but she's getting better each month it seems and will eat new things from time to time. Like today, she decided to eat the rest of my egg salad sandwich when just a few weeks ago she cried and spit it out when Derek gave her a sample. She loves breakfast, so that's an easy meal. She eats bananas, yogurt, breakfast bars, cereal, muffins (she loves bread!), but lunches and dinner usually consist of macaroni and cheese, pb&j (sometimes without the p), or hotdogs. And unfortunately, trying to give her the good quality, real meat hot dogs won't work because they are too greasy and make her pretty sick, so she eats the 8 for $1.00 ones. She loves dipping her foods whether it's hot dogs in ketchup or crackers in spaghetti o's - oh yeah that's a new one she loves. The last few weeks though, we've discovered that if we have cooked vegetables, she'll eat them with ranch. Yes, my kind of girl!! That's the only way I'll eat veggies too. She also loves pasta, so that's become a good one for dinners. When she has the occasional snack they usually consist of apple sauce and teddy grahams. Teddy grahams are her absolute favorite and she refers to those as her good goods, at least, that's the only thing we can translate from whatever she's really saying.

 She loves dogs of all kinds, which I think is very good, but also not always good. When we see strange dogs out and about I just tell her she can't touch them. One day, she'll understand that. It'll be fun to see her with a puppy this coming year. For now, she just loves on old Winnie who is very VERY tolerant of her little person. If anyone tried to hurt Lexi, Winnie would kill them on the spot, no exaggerating there.

Lexi and her baby
18 Months

She's just now starting to be able to wear certain 24 month clothes, as long as they are short sleeved or have shorter long sleeves. The pants though, well forget that, she is just barely tall enough for 18 month haha!

Lexi at 19 Months

Her 18 month checkup was now a little over a month ago and she did so well! Only had to get one booster and her flu shot! We were thrilled it wasn't the normal 4-6 vaccines. And now, other than the yearly flu vaccine, she's good until kindergarten! I was concerned about her eating habits, but when I started listing off what she eats, the doctor told me she's actually very healthy and more so than most kids that age. She was also very impressed with how many words Lexi was saying, she said she's advanced in that area so that made me very happy! I'm so glad we switched doctors. Lexi loves Dr. V!

I think that brings everyone up to date. Hope you enjoyed it!

1 comment:

  1. I love reading about Lexi! Especially since there were a few things you actually hadn't told me. I can't wait to see you and her in June!

    ReplyDelete