Friday, April 8, 2011

32 Week Check-Up

Today was my 32 week appointment. It went really well. Had a nice early (9:30 a.m.) check-up and since Derek had the day off, now he's able to paint the borders and trim in the nursery a very bright, fun pink! (We should have the floor put in by the weekend!)

Dr. Evans said the baby's heart sounds perfect, my blood pressure is perfect, and I'm just doing perfect! And, I don't think I gained any weight! Must be from not eating quite as much, not eating quite as poorly, and going on 1.25 mile walks 3-5 times a week. This week I was slacking too because of the horrible wind we were having.

Then we took a tour of the maternity ward at the hospital. We were SO impressed! Everything we have experienced in Evanston (other than the 1.5 hour drive) have reassured us over and over again that we're going to the right place and that Rock Springs is just pathetic! The doctor even said she understood if there were a few complaints about a place. After all, even Harvard will have people who don't like it. But she said when it's from multiple people all the time, something is wrong. She said they don't mind having the Rock Springs people though :)

Back to our tour: the nurses and RNs were super nice! They were very excited for us and very personable. We first took a look at the labor and delivery rooms. Below is a picture of Derek's recliner (you even get to see Rambo chillin' on it when he was young, cute, and thin).


Now, the leather recliners in the labor and delivery rooms put this chair to shame! So, Derek was happy haha. Once I've had a little time to recover, I will go to the recovery room where we'll stay until we go home. Those rooms all have baby themes. One had cute little baby pictures everywhere and the other one had stars. Each room has two beds, one for the mom and one for the dad. No crummy, cheap pull-out couches like they have in Rock Springs.

If the baby has to stay, but I am discharged, we get to stay at no extra cost to us. The only thing we have to pay for would be the extra care of the baby, so I thought that was really neat. And every baby gets a homemade blanket that we get to pick out along with a homemade hat that the nurses make for the babies. Now, how personal is that touch? We also learned that our 'allowable' hours to stay (stated by our insurance depending on the type of delivery) don't start until after the baby is born. So if I'm at the hospital in labor for 12 hours, my 48 hours don't start until after she's here. That made me feel much better. The labor and delivery rooms are also just feet away from the surgical ward, so if anything were to go wrong, no running down long halls. It's just outside each of the room doors.

We also happened to both know the nursery nurse who was on staff today. Derek knows her from high school and I know her from when I worked in Registration at the college. We thought that was so cool. Especially since I know her husband too. Small world. And she was wonderful!

Getting even more excited now! It's great feeling like we'll be taken care of. Well, until next time.


It's nice and small too :)

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! I'm glad you'll have a MUCH better place than RS. Getting so close now... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great update!! Very Very hard to wait now =)

    ReplyDelete