Saturday, October 2, 2010
Eating for Two?
Everyone always says "Well, now you're eating for two so... (you fill in the blanks)". The funny thing is, the baby you're supposedly eating for two for is the size of a blueberry right now. It doesn't eat very much. In fact, you don't even need to increase your intake of food until later in the pregnancy. Sometimes, not even until the second trimester. Once you do start eating more, it's only supposed to be by an additional 300 calories. That's like a snack. Once you get into the third trimester you increase it to 450-600 additional calories. So, you're really not eating for two :) The book I'm reading, What to Expect When You're Expecting, has a diet plan to follow. It lists how many servings per day you're supposed to eat of folic acid, calcium, iron, etc, and let me tell you, there's a LOT of it! I don't eat that much now. But I'm going to print it off and stick it on the fridge so I can stick as close to it as possible. Anyway, I thought it was funny.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Yeah it's really funny because when you're nursing you need to eat a ton more calories because you really are eating for two but when you're pregnant you really don't need to at all. The irony is that when you're pregnant it's OK to gain weight and when you're nursing you're trying so hard to lose it! :)
ReplyDelete